Monday, November 2, 2009

Politics and Religion Cont.

It's been almost a month since my first post on this blog. An awful long time, I've been told. It would be a lot easier for me to keep this blog up to speed if I had Internet access in my apartment but unfortunately that's going to have to wait until I find another job that will hopefully pay more than my last one.


Anyway, I would like to start this blog off by tendering my sincerest apologies to the Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, though I doubt they'll ever read this. I wrote in my last post that the Duggars should be ashamed of themselves if they voted in favor of banning same-sex marriage in their home state of Arkansas, knowing full well they would never stand for it if people tried to stop them from having more children. That may be hypocritical of them but they have the right to be wrong as gay columnist Charles Bouley wrote, according to George Will in today's column.

The main focus of Will's column is an alleged move by same-sex marriage supporters demanding to know the names and addresses of people who oppose their goal. Bouley, Will wrote, reminds gay activists that Barack Obama has stated marriage should be between a man and a woman only, yet many of them voted for him in the last election. Will concludes his column by saying it is time to speak up about thuggish liberalism. I agree with him by I feel it is also well past time time to talk about what I discussed in my first post: politics and religion.

The Obama Administration has gotten a whole lot of criticism these past few months regarding its economic policies and I agree with pretty much everything that has been said about that. However, I feel as though Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, and everybody else at Fox News are forgetting something, and that is one of the reasons why people put Obama in power is that he portrayed himself as less extreme on social issues like abortion and gay rights than his predecessor George W. Bush.

If the conservative movement is to survive, it needs to adopt a more moderate stance on social issues than it has in recent years. Nobody is more opposed to judges who legislate from the bench than I am but I'll say it again: people should not be allowed to determine public policy based on whatever beliefs they might have. They have the right to be wrong as Charles Bouley said, but they do not have the right to impose their beliefs on to others.

If all those people involved in the 9-12 project wish to curb the out-of-control spending by those currently in power, they need to abandon social conservatism cold turkey and keep religion firmly out of public policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment